Tuesday 12 July 2016

Light Nights & Drawing by Numbers

Any one else finding the light nights really hard? (Or is that a silly question?!) 

Last night was so insanely bright and light that the only person who managed to fall asleep was DH, who'd been at work all day!

So at 10.30pm me and the kids were decamped in my bed, hot, tired/wide awake and wondering what on earth to do with ourselves.  I had a little scroll through my Kindle at some of my recent saves and stumbled across this one, that a friend shared recently:-

http://brightside.me/article/how-to-teach-your-child-to-draw-using-numbers-10755/

So we decided to give that a try! I was very impressed with the results :-)  (Mine at the top, DS bottom left, DD bottom right).



Now, I am one of those people that could best be described as 'not able to draw' so it was a treat for me to discover my efforts came out resembling what they were supposed to! :-)  It was simple, fun and effective and required just enough energy and concentration to tire us all out so we were able to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Other highlights this week include making the biggest, most indulgent chocolate cake we could possibly imagine -


Going to Book Group at the library only to discover DD (replace Darling here with Dozy) has returned her library books to the wrong library and we now have to try and track them down or pay for them! 

And having to take an hour's detour on the way home because DS only decided AFTER we left the bakery that he DID want something after all, and that something was a gingerbread man.  He cried all the way back to the car - despite lots of cuddles, we just had to stop to get his breath back.  Delayed processing can be so hard!  So we stopped off en route, and picked up this little chap -


and The World was Right again :-) 

We've been doing loads of practical real-life maths (ok, ok we've been playing Monopoly alot!) :-)  Yesterday I ended up in Jail, with all my property mortgaged and only £4 to my name!! Minus the jail time, felt a bit TOO much like real life to me lol :-)

And the kid's team (The Golden Lions!) won the end of term trophy at the church social group they go to! I was over the moon for them, and so impressed to see the lovely written work they have done this term - learning all about David in The Bible (Religious Education = check :-) )  On a serious note though,  it is a HUGE thing for us that there is a social group that both our children can participate in INDEPENDENTLY of us.  This has never happened for us - not with Beavers, Brownies, after school clubs etc.  But the leaders are great with the children, and give all their time voluntarily and they do wonderful games and activities and learn all about the Christian faith.

I was particularly moved to be told by one of the leaders that DD is "always really good with DS". Apparently she always sits with him and works with him when they do the written tasks.  She reads everything for him and helps him spell the answers (reading and writing are still a big challenge for DS, there are definite elements/ suggestions of dyslexia there).  He told me "normally the siblings go in opposite directions and can't wait to be on different teams, but your DD is always with DS and helping him."    Well, you wouldn't have needed Goliath, you could literally have knocked me down with a feather - this is the girl that could not bear her brother's existence when they were at school!!  So you can imagine I was thrilled to pieces and made sure we had a special chat about that when we got home and that DD knew how very happy and proud of her I was.

Now all we need is some sunshine, and the summer can really begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment