Wednesday 1 June 2016

Spring Half Term, Pocket Money & Self-Learning

Well, I can honestly say we are having the most peaceful half term/ school holiday we have ever had!  :-)

Unfortunately, due to DH working in education, we are still bound to the school holidays to a certain extent so they are still a time of enormous transitioning for my two little lovelies who struggle so much with any change of routine.  However, having taken them away, on my own, last week - to a holiday park we have been to before, I think we may have got all the transitioning out of the way and just flowed nicely into the school holiday and some time at home with Dad having a wealth of happy experiences last week to reflect on.

Today we have had one of the most successful trips in to town we have ever had.  We stopped off en route to pick up the kids Arts Award portfolios and their certificates to show they have both passed their Discover level Arts Award.  DS was a bit confused and upset because he thought the Arts Award was going to be an award (like a trophy) - not just a certificate!  Bless :-)  But he was able to calm and accept it without a full on meltdown which was HUGE :-)

We carried on into town and had a lovely wander round the charity shops.  We got lots of great books, so DD is happy!  She does love her books :-)  The kids also spent their pocket money on some great finds.  DD bought this Sand Art set for just 50p -



DS was absolutely thrilled to find this (almost complete) domino kit - including motorised truck that dispenses the dominoes - all for £1.95!  And with it he made this........ (with a little help from DH!) 



Awesome fun!   I just LOVE charity shops - it teaches the kids so much.  The value of money, to support charities and their work, waste not want not, reuse and recycle :-)  

We started pocket money over 2 years ago now.  It started off at 50p a week, then up to £1.  Now they get £5 per month, at the start of the month, and it is their job to make it last.   Their pocket money is not chore related - personally I don't believe in that.  I always say to them, I don't get paid to do your laundry, you don't get paid to help with it! :-)   My kids know how to put a load of washing on, hang it to dry or work the tumble dryer (included checking and clearing out the filter before use), how to work the vacuum cleaner, load the dishwasher and take care of all their pets.  They also lay the table when asked and tidy their own rooms (when nagged lol!)  My ethos is - You help with chores because they need to be done, that's life.  Each to their own, but that's how it is in my house :-)    Pocket money is just given freely, to help them learn and understand the value of money, budgeting and money management.  Today it was tough for them as there was lots they wanted to buy but it is also my birthday this month, and Fathers Day  and yes, they are expected to buy things out of their own money - even if it is only 20p of their own money - just because, again, I believe it is an important lesson in life - if everything is only ever incoming then how will they learn and appreciate what is given?

Anyway, I digress - although I'd love to hear what others do in terms of pocket money, chores and rewards etc :-)

On another note, I found this the other day, in DD's room, in one of her many piles of discarded paper........



I asked her what it was.  "Oh I was making a map" she said "I copied it from one of my encyclopedias. But I don't need it, I made another one as that's not quite right!" 

I think one of the most common concerns as a Home Educating parent is "Am I doing enough?  Am I teaching them enough?  Are they learning enough?"  And this is a great example of the answer.   Yes!  If you give kids the space, they will learn.  They don't need to be in a classroom, or in a formal educational setting. They are naturally inquisitive, give them the time and space to explore this side of themselves and they will learn. I promise ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment