Friday 3 March 2017




















So, in my bid this year to re-discover a bit of Me, one of the things I have ventured into the world of Book Reviewing.

Historically, I did my degree in English Literature & Theology so I feel a bit like I am returning to my roots (although my university professors would probably question how much actual reading I did in those days 😂😁).  But we are definitely a book loving family.  We are all avid readers, with very varied tastes! And I have always read to, and with, the children daily.

So, this week I have been reading It's Okay, I'm Watching (Book 1 of the Grief Series by Chenee' Gilbert Ed D).  The book is aimed at 9-13 year olds and addresses the emotional topics of grief and adolescence.

I have reviewed the book both on https://www.amazon.co.uk

This review is from: It's Okay, I'm Watching (Dear Grief Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is carefully, methodically and matter-of-factly written. A difficult subject matter to tackle, it is well adapted to the age of the target reader.

I feel this book would be a great classroom resource. The fact the chapters are punctuated by great discussion questions is the real wow-factor of this book. It would be a great tool to aid exploration into the subjects of grief and growing up in a group or 1-2-1 setting.

The author is careful not to overload the reader with too much emotion from the outset. She captures the starkness and matter-of-factness that are a very real part of the grieving process, and gradually unravels the many subsequent layers of that process.

This book is written very specifically from one cultural viewpoint, and there is no explanation of that, which at first made it difficult to relate to, but the author opens the questions at the end of each chapter so seamlessly that it becomes more globally accessible the further you read, so do persevere because the author expertly addresses issues which affect us all.

I think every school and doctors office should have a copy of this book available to young people experiencing, or supporting someone who is experiencing, grief while growing up.



by

     
's review
             
I think this book would be a great classroom resource and should definitely be in the collection of any professional working with young people.

It is a clinical book, not a story book. That said, it is well written and each chapter flows easily into the clever discussion questions that punctuate each chapter.

Written specifically from one cultural viewpoint, that the author presumes you are familiar with, made it a little difficult to get in to but once you reach the questions it becomes much more open, accessible and relatable.

I liked how the author tackled the issues of grief and adolescence simultaneously and there were some beautifully tender moments when the main character is writing her journal to her mother.

Filled with vivid scenes of everyday family life, this book will leave you pondering your own upbringing and reflecting on the traditions and interactions that have shaped your own life.

Poignant, intelligent, factual and honest. Recommended for those with an interest in the subject matter.


I also had a personal interest in reading this book, as I have a 9 year old daughter myself, and an 8 year old son.  And, sadly, one day they are going to encounter grief themselves - as it is part of all our lives.  They are also on the threshold of adolescence, so I will definitely be keeping this book close to hand for when they are a little older and as, and when, these subjects arise in their lives - either directly or through the experiences of their friends and peers.


No comments:

Post a Comment