Wednesday 10 August 2016

Autism Services

So, back in June (I know, I know :-) )  I went to The Autism Show at ExCeL, London with a friend. 

I'll be honest, I was disappointed.  I don't know what I was hoping for.  Services I think.  But, as I already knew, there aren't any - or at least there aren't any you don't have to pay heftily for :-(   Autism remains yours alone to manage, unless you happen to be rich, basically, or by luck of postcode be in a borough that assigns a paediatrician and some follow up (we are not in one, but I've heard tell of people who are..)

But I spoke to lots of stall holders, dutifully collected lots of leaflets and information, and there were some pearls amougst them, so I'm finally getting around to sharing those with you.

The Play Doctors
( http://www.theplaydoctors.co.uk/ )
were my absolute favourites.  They are a family company, who have evolved over the years from finding their own solutions to various difficulties.  They have some wonderful, simple, colourful, durable, well thought out products.  I would definitely recommend a look at their web site for supporting communication, social integration and positive behaviour.  Helpfully, they distinguish between tools for in the classroom and those for personal use at home, although you are free to purchase either type of resource.

For older children (teens to adulthood) was the fantastic Brain in Hand
(http://braininhand.co.uk/ )
Basically they provide support software that can be accessed from your phone.  The software helps to manage independent living/ travel/ studying for users with autism who need additional, continual prompts and support to manage various situations and tasks.  I was really impressed by them, and definitely have bookmarked them for when DD & DS get a little older.

If money is no object, Total Sensory have some fantastic ideas and products
(http://www.totalsensory.co.uk/shop/index.php )
They design and install gorgeous sensory rooms, but you can also buy individual items and some lovely weighted toys and sensory packs.

TTS Group Ltd 
(http://www.tts-group.co.uk/ )
Have some awesome Special Needs resources, including specific resources for Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Dyspraxia as well as Autism.  

I was also hugely impressed with the gorgeous looking Thomas Centre
(http://www.thethomascentre.co.uk/ )
They are a beautiful, family run holiday park for children with autism and related conditions.  For many of us autism families, holidays and 'high days' are actually not fun times but are hugely stressful and challenging for all the family.  This wonderfully thought out venue, could be a true solution for many such families.

Autism Links
(http://www.autismlinks.co.uk/ )
is a central service with, as the title suggests, links to all things Autism.

And another one for older people with autism was United Response
(http://www.unitedresponse.org.uk/what-we-do )
They are a charity that work with individuals to help fulfill their potential. This seems to be more with a view to helping people with autism (and other special needs) to access employment, voluntary work or further study as adults.

This is by no means an exhaustive review of the The Autism Show and the many organisations and services that were on show there, neither am I endorsing any of the above mentioned groups, products or services.  This is just to share information I found there of some organisations that were of interest or use to me, in our personal journey, either for now or in the future. I hope they may be of use to others as well x




 

No comments:

Post a Comment