Wednesday 2 March 2016

Arts Award & Hail Storms

Feeling absolutely shattered today. DH has unexpectedly just arrived home early and taken both the kids to Beavers, on his bike, in the rain - Top Husband Marks :-)  

So I thought I would sit down and do a little blog update and I'm just thinking about what we've done today and why I'm so shattered.  Apart from the fact I was awake half the night (you know how it is!).  

So far today I've changed all the beds, done 4 loads of washing, changed all the cushion covers in the lounge, ensured all the pets got done, done a weekly grocery shop (without the car!), unpacked it all and put it away and STILL we found time for lots of lovely work on the kids Arts Award presentation books:-



Above is DS's effort, he did 4 pages in all! I am sooooo pleased and proud of this. He did the write ups himself, which is MASSIVE for him as he is still huuuuugely reluctant to write anything he feels he 'has' to. He is still so afraid of being judged, it not being 'good enough' or 'right' but his confidence with this is growing and I love the fact that by the second one he had gained confidence and branched out and used different colours for each word.  Not only writing, but having fun with it. Hurray! :-)

As DD was off reading one of our new Choose Your Own adventure books - the Geography Range (love, love, love these books! They are so fun the kids don't even realise they are learning :-) ) - I had some more 1-2-1 time with DS.  He'd had enough of writing, so we did some reading together.  Getting DS to read aloud is alot like wrestling a greased pig (I imagine!) :-) :-)  It is SO hard to get him to stay focused. His mind is SO BUSY, whirring at a hundred miles an hour and making connections left, right, forwards, backwards, sideways, that it is really, really difficult to get him to stay on track.  It is a question of continuously drawing him back to the words on the page, away from the minute detail of the pictures and every other tangent he then goes off on.  It takes an average of 45 minutes to read with DS (the amount of reading that would be a simple 5 minute reading task for a neuro typical child of his age).  He has the ability to read, it's a case of trying to pause the washing machine cycle in his brain to allow the words through.  It's a real labour of love, but he is coming on leaps and bounds and his confidence with it :-)

This was then enough Table Time so I suggested he had some Golden Time (play time basically) while I worked 1-2-1 with his sister, so she could assemble some of her Arts Award file - 



She did about 7 pages in all, so we are on target to have them ready before the Easter holidays for assessment :-)  

It was then time for lunch, and afterwards I spent some time playing Lego towers and Nerf guns with DS, as DD wanted some time on her own.  (I think she is creating something for Mothers Day, bless her little heart).

The kids then played and hung out together while I SAT DOWN!! Honestly, I don't know how I managed to fit that in today lol :-)   And then they went out to play in the crazy hail storm!




It's great being a kid, isn't it?  What could be more exciting and fun than tiny bits of ice falling from the sky? :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment